Your Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Soon (we hope) the leaves on the trees will start changing and the temperatures will fall (below 90 degrees). That's when you know it's a great time to tackle those Fall home maintenance items and start prepping your house for Winter!
If this list seems daunting, we recommend breaking it up into more manageable lists so that those smaller chunks seem easier to complete. Whether you do it all at once or break it up over a series of weekends, just remember that being proactive and maintaining your home will likely save you big money over time.
Checks you should be doing regularly (not just in the Fall):
- Monthly smoke detector tests to make sure they are working properly. Go ahead and replace your batteries!
- Clear air intakes and exhaust vents of debris.
- Keep an eye out for safety hazards, like loose handrails, uneven surfaces, or electrical outlets without safety plugs (for when guests come to visit for the upcoming holidays).
Fall maintenance items:
- Have your HVAC system inspected and serviced, making sure the furnace will work properly when cold temperatures hit. Then make sure you're changing your air filters regularly (we recommend at least every three months).
- Check your chimneys for obstructions such as nests. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, have it cleaned now so it will be ready to go.
- Test all of your doors and windows to make sure they close tightly. Make any repairs and/or replace weather stripping where it's needed.
- Make sure your rain gutters are clear of debris. And keep them cleaned up as the leaves begin to fall.
- Drain and store your outdoor hoses and purchase covers to protect your hose bibs from freezing temperatures.
- Come up with a plan for how you're going to winterize your landscaping whether that's bringing plants inside, storing outdoor furniture, or winterizing your gas grill.
- Trim any tree limbs that are close to your home. Storms, ice, etc. can cause those branches to fall and cause damage.
If you need help with any of these items, contact us for a vendor referral or download our Vendor Directory here.